Jose Oubrerie the last living protégé of Le Corbusier, is a Professor Emeritus of Architecture at the Knowlton School. Oubrerie joined the School as Chair of the Architecture Department in 1994 after his tenure as Dean of the College of Architecture at the University of Kentucky. After an early career in painting, Oubrerie studied architecture in Paris and went on to work in Le Corbusier’s office from 1957–1965. He collaborated with his mentor during the final years of his life, working on numerous projects such as the Brazil Pavilion, Hotel d’Orsay, the Strasbourg Convention Center, the Olivetti Offices and Factories in Milan, the Venice Hospital, the Zurichhorn Pavillion, and the Firminy Church. In 1970, Oubrerie became a registered architect and started his own office in Paris with several commissions: to establish the final project for the Firminy Church; to rebuild the Esprit Nouveau Pavilion in Bologna in collaboration with Giuliano Gresleri; to build a Computer and Research Center in Fontainebleau for the École des Mines de Paris; and to realize the French Cultural Center in Damascus, Syria. Later, while teaching in Lexington, Kentucky, he created with his wife Atelier Wylde-Oubrerie, to build the Miller House.
Oubrerie’s work has received numerous awards and has been published internationally. He has also taught in the Architecture School of Beaux-arts in Paris, The Cooper Union, Columbia GSAPP, CCNY School of Architecture, and Cornell University. Oubrerie recently released the book Architecture With and Without Le Corbusier, featuring the Miller House and the Firminy Church, which was completed by Oubrerie in 1996, and was listed by the 2010 World Architecture Survey as the second most important structure built in the 21st century.