Despite common myths, you don't need to be an artist or have a math background to be admitted or succeed in our programs. You do need to be curious, inquisitive, and a hard worker. We will teach you everything you need to know.
Explore Foundation Courses
The Knowlton School foundation courses are open to non-majors and are offered each semester.
Outlines of the Built Environment
Introduction to architecture, landscape architecture, and planning as cultural practices that shape the physical environment. Required for Architecture or Landscape Architecture majors. Fulfills a Culture & Ideas GE. Open to all students. May be taken concurrently with Knowlton 2310.
Seeing and Making
Introduction to the design of the physical environment through the exploration of form, space, and order using drawing and modeling techniques. Required for Architecture or Landscape Architecture majors. Open to all students. May be taken concurrently with Knowlton 2300.
City and Regional Planning 2110
Creating Innovative Cities and Regions
Successful cities rely on innovation to keep them forward-moving. Emerging trends and unmet market needs are studied to generate innovative planning solutions. The first course in City and Regional Planning major. Open to all students.
Major Change Requirements
Students who want to change their major to a Knowlton major must meet the requirements outlined below. Students who meet these requirements are encouraged to make an advising appointment to discuss changing a major in more detail.
Major Change Process
The process outlined below is for current Ohio State students.
Admission to the Architecture and Landscape Architecture programs is determined by enrollment capacity, size, and quality of the application pool. Admission is not guaranteed.
Each program is competitive; GPA requirements for each major may fluctuate with each application cycle.
Requirements for application to major
The most successful candidates for admission typically meet the following criteria:
- Strong academic performance at Ohio State (with consideration of prior coursework in other academic areas)
- Successful completion of ARCH/LARCH 2300 and 2310 (students can be currently enrolled in both courses during the semester in which they apply)
- Well-crafted essay responses
The application review is holistic and the admissions committee will consider whether or not the applicant as a whole is prepared to be successful in the major.
Submit an application to the major
Current Ohio State students may apply to the Architecture and Landscape Architecture programs by submitting an online application.
Applications are made available one month prior to each application deadline:
- Spring semester application deadline: Friday, April 30th at 11:59 p.m. EST
- Summer semester application deadline: TBD
Once admitted to the major, a program fee is assessed every term. Fees are subject to change.
Admissions decisions will be sent to an applicants' Ohio State email address. It the applicant's responsibility to check their account and respond by the deadline to secure a seat in the major.
The architecture curriculum is highly sequenced. Students who are admitted to the architecture major curriculum sequence should expect a minimum of three years to complete a degree.
- Students must have completed one semester of graded coursework at Ohio State to request a major change to pre-architecture. The minimum GPA required to change to pre-architecture is a 2.5. A major change to pre-architecture does not guarantee admission to the architecture major curriculum sequence. To be competitive for admission, we recommend a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Successfully complete KNOW 2300 and 2310. To be competitive for admission review, we recommend grades of a B+ or higher in both courses.
- Students should complete or be making progress toward completion of Math 1118 (Math 1131 or Math 1151 are also acceptable) and Physics 1200.
- Pre-major students may apply for admission to the architecture major curriculum sequence at the end of each spring semester or summer term. Students admitted at either point will begin the curriculum sequence in autumn semester.
The landscape architecture curriculum is highly sequenced. Students admitted to landscape architecture should expect a minimum of three years to complete a degree.
- Students must have completed one semester of graded coursework at Ohio State to request a major change to pre-landscape architecture. The minimum GPA required to change to pre-landscape architecture is a 2.5, but to be competitive for admission, we recommend a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Successfully complete KNOW 2300 and 2310. To be competitive for admission review, we recommend grades of a B+ or higher in 2300 and 2310.
- Pre-major students may apply for admission to the landscape architecture curriculum sequence at the end of spring semester or summer term. Students admitted at either point will begin the curriculum sequence in autumn semester and will need three additional years to complete the degree.
City and Regional Planning
Current Ohio State students who are in good academic standing can declare the City and Regional Planning major at any time.