How to Transfer to Ohio State

How to Transfer to Ohio State

Register as a prospective student.

Join the Knowlton mailing list to receive information for prospective students and get the latest news from the school.

Register Now

Prospective students transferring from another university who plan to pursue a major in architecture, city and regional planning, or landscape architecture should apply directly to Ohio State via Undergraduate Admissions. No additional or supplementary materials are required to be admitted to a Knowlton major.

University Admissions will review the coursework and GPA from all previously attended post-secondary institutions. For the architecture and landscape architecture programs, a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher from all previous institutions is required to enter the pre-major program. Admission to the pre-major program is not a guarantee of future admission to the architecture or landscape architecture major. For the city and regional planning program, a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher from all previous institutions is required.

Architecture and Landscape Architecture Students

In your first year at Ohio State, you will enroll in foundation courses, KNOW 2300 and KNOW 2310 before applying to the major of your preference. Major applications are reviewed at the end of each spring semester and summer term. The strongest candidates for the major typically earn grades of B+ or higher in the foundation courses and hold cumulative GPAs above a 3.3.

In addition to the foundation courses, pre-architecture students need to meet or demonstrate significant progress with math and physics requirements by the time of application to the major.

Please expect 3.5 to 4 years to complete either the Bachelor of Science in Architecture or Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture degree, regardless of the number of earned transfer credits. Both programs operate on a cohort model and the major courses are offered in a specific sequence.

City and Regional Planning

You will enter the major directly. No prerequisites are required. Plan for a period of 3 to 3.5 years to complete the Bachelor of Science in City and Regional Planning.


Do not send official transcripts to Knowlton. Official transcripts for the purposes of admission to Ohio State should be sent directly to Undergraduate Admissions according to the step-by-step directions.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is not evaluated prior to enrollment. Courses will be evaluated for equivalency to Ohio State courses and for consistency with our program’s curriculum. Please retain syllabi from your previous institution(s). Technical credit from two-year institutions will count toward free electives hours only. All Ohio institutions and many other schools use

Students requesting an evaluation of international transfer credit (credit from an institution outside of the U.S.) must submit certified translations of their materials to receive an evaluation. Certified translations must be hard copies with official stamps/seals on each page of the documents. Detailed syllabi including name and author of text, contact information of instructor and institution, and a list of course topics is required. Non-certified documents will not be accepted.

If you have already completed an undergraduate degree in any discipline with a GPA of 3.0 or above, please consider one of our graduate programs.

Transfer Admissions

Already admitted as a transfer student? Learn more about what to do once you're been admitted.

Advanced Placement

Transfer students who were previously enrolled in a four-year pre-professional architecture program, a five-year professional architecture program, or a four or five-year professional landscape architecture program may petition to be considered for advanced placement in Ohio State’s program.

See Transfer Petition for more information.


Need more information? Please contact:

Judith Dunham-Borst
Senior Academic Program Services Specialist