You are in section Students, in section Career Services, options here include: .

ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191: Professional Practice


  • A zero-credit course with no meeting times, the purpose of which is to maintain your student status

  • The fee is billed at one half-credit hour (0.5); see the University Registrar's Student Tuition and Fee Tables for more information

  • Appears on your transcript as "Professional Experience" for each semester enrolled

  • Graded S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory), based on Knowlton School Student Services Office's receipt of both the experience evaluation (from you) and performance evaluation (from your employer) by the last day of the semester you worked

  • To request enrollment, please submit the 5191 Enrollment Request Form. Regular course add/drop and late fees apply per regular university deadlines.

Why enroll in ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191?

Campus Advantages:

  • Ensures you will be eligible for student health insurance for the semester you're working -- health insurance is required to participate as a co-op or intern

  • Enables you to waive your residence hall contract if you are working outside of Columbus

  • Maintains your student status for future term's scheduling window

  • Pick up or purchase athletic tickets

  • Get an RPAC pass at the student rate

  • Get an Ohio State golf course pass at the student rate

  • It will not maintain a student athlete's enrollment status 

Professional Advantages:

  • ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 on your transcript formally documents your co-op or internship experience.

  • While your co-op or internship experience may count toward AXP (architecture) or work experience requirements in landscape architecture or city and regional planning, the course itself does not serve as documentation nor does the Knowlton School retain your records for future verification. Please maintain your own records for future professional licensure.

  • Obtain enrollment verification for insurance, if covered under your parents' car and/or health policies.

ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 and Financial Aid

  • If you received financial aid at any point in your college career and do not enroll in ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 (thereby foregoing your option to maintain your student standing), you might be required to start re-paying your student loans before you graduate (during the academic year)

  • Enrolling in ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 may keep your scholarships and grants deferred

  • No financial aid will disburse while you are enrolled in only ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 because scholarships/grants require you to be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours; loans require 6 credit hours

Is ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 required?

  • FOR US CITIZENS AND PERMANENT RESIDENTS: No, it is not required, but it is highly recommended during the Autumn and Spring semesters because there are many financial, professional, and logistical implications if you opt out of taking the course. The summer is less imperative, as Financial Aid does not require students to be enrolled in school. Please consult us if your questions are not answered on this page.

  • FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Yes, this course (or one similar to it) is required in order to maintain your CPT.  Read more in the section specifically addressing ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 and international students.

ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 and International Students

International Graduate Students may request ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191 as a CPT course, but may also have additional enrollment requirements. Please see an advisor with the Office of International Affairs for details.

STEPS for International Students:

  • Have your Academic Advisor fill out and sign your CPT (the course number and name is ARCH/LARCH/CRPLAN 5191: Professional Practice)

  • Take the completed CPT form to the Office of International Affairs (OIA) and receive a new I-20

  • Bring the new I-20 to Knowlton Student Services in 100 Knowlton Hall so we can make a record of it

  • Report your co-op/internship to Angela Beer in Knowlton Student Services

Request enrollment in 5191

Please submit the 5191 Enrollment Request Form. Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation email. Enrollment request are typically processed within 48 business hours. Standard course registration dates, deadlines and late fees do apply.