Two Open Faculty Positions: Assistant Professor of Architecture
The Architecture Section of the Knowlton School at The Ohio State University (OSU) welcomes applications for two (2) tenure-track design faculty positions, starting autumn 2024. We seek candidates with design-based research agendas whose expertise will be a valuable addition to the Knowlton School’s dynamic faculty, fostering a rich culture of design, history and theory, and technology.
Selected candidates will have the opportunity to teach design studios at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as courses and seminars aligned with their research specializations. We seek to attract energetic, intellectually curious, creative colleagues with a clear research direction.
As our discipline and profession evolve in response to the shifting paradigms of our era—from planetary and climatic changes to urban reconfigurations and equitable redistribution of resources—the Knowlton School seeks faculty who can contribute to these conversations through creative approaches that reaffirm architecture's unwavering commitment to both social and environmental justice. Potential research and teaching themes may address, but are not limited to:
- architecture’s engagement with social and/or environmental challenges
- the interplay between architecture and urban dynamics
- innovations in building materials and their impacts on architecture
- other intersections that prompt innovation that we have not considered
We seek candidates who contribute to or expand on these discussions through their design research and teaching.
We are seeking candidates who will display leadership and ability for collaboration in an academic environment. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with desire and ability to work constructively, decisively, and collegially with external and internal colleagues. We seek individuals with strong leadership skills who have the ability to work independently and proactively. Successful candidates will display innovative thinking, be open to sharing ideas, and be willing to learn continuously.
Education and Experience Requirements
- a terminal degree in architecture or a closely allied discipline
- a clear design research agenda supported by disciplinary recognition
- experience teaching design studios at graduate and undergraduate levels
- experience teaching classroom courses at graduate and undergraduate levels
- a commitment to cultivating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive academic environment